Thursday, October 13, 2011

365 Project

I recently started a 365 project. It pretty much entails shooting a self-portrait every day for a year. I'm on day ten. My hope is that the project will give me some sort of structure to grow and push myself as a photographer. It's an excuse to fiddle around with different lighting, different framing, different concepts. The only restriction that I've put on myself with regards to content is that it must be a self-portrait.

Although I'm only ten days into it, I'm fascinated by the results. I have done some experimentation with different set-ups than I usually use. Sometimes it's worked well. Other times the results have been less-than-stellar. This is about what I expected, though I'm pleased to have had definitive positive results so quickly into the project.

What has really taken me by surprise is the content that I've gravitated towards thus far. A good third of the photos have been goofy high-key portraits. Usually I'm into shooting things like erotic imagery, and expressive gesture and figure studies. I gravitate towards anonymous nudes. I often like dramatic, moody lighting. So I have no bloody clue why all of a sudden I'm getting such a kick out of shooting myself making stupid faces, or wearing dorky underwear and socks.

I made a brief attempt at fighting it, but for the time, I think I'm going to go ahead and ride this trend. I have another 355 days left, which will be plenty of time for me to gravitate back to torsos, rope, and visual drama. For now, it's an exercise in joy.

3 comments:

  1. Can't click through to your tumblr.

    I did two consecutive years of selfies from 2006-2008, and am since Jan 1st doing one more, this time handheld, arms-length, with Hipstamatic for iPhone. It's a challenge - no post-processing, no tripod, no self-timer, no off-camera flash, no poses. I try to make it interesting by choosing different backgrounds, angles, props, expressions etc. - but it's really tough. On the other hand, it's also liberating: The less choice you have, the easier it gets.

    Always interested to see other people's 365 projects.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoops! I fixed the link, so it should work now.

    It sounds like you've definitely set yourself up with a greater challenge than I have. It's fascinating to find where to strike the balance between restrictions and open-endedness.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is a pleasure to view the self portraits. Congrats for keeping it going.

    ReplyDelete